Schlicht protestantisch - die sechs Dorfkirchen im Bezirk Reinickendorf
The six village churches in Reinickendorf were originally built during the German eastward expansion during the 12th century, when the Ascanians had taken control of Brandenburg. The center of the village was always reserved for a church and a cemetery. The originally simple timber frame constructions were replaced as the villages grew with more solid churches made of stone. The villages were subject to different protectorates. A decisive influence on the design of the churches and village life in general was the Reformation, which was introduced Prince-Elector Joachim II (1536–1571). But his church ordinance from 1540 was by no means radical, so that the Reformation gradually and peacefully took hold in the villages, with the so-called “visitations”: the responsibility for church matters was now assigned to the local church authority, which was subject to the prince-elector.
Ever since then, the old village churches of Reinickendorf have been Protestant. Still today, they are simple and reticent in their use of figurative decoration. The few carved wooden sculptures of saints from the time before the Reformation are now considered precious artworks. Three of the village churches feature pulpit altars, typical for Lutheran churches during the Baroque period. The village churches are not only centers of religious life, but are also significant as part of our cultural heritage.
With the help of photographs, drawings, paintings, maps, and several sacred objects this exhibition explores the historical background of the Reformation and explores the cultural value of the village churches in a comprehensive way.
MON - FRI 9 am - 5 pm
SUN 9 am - 5 pm